Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Oryza Sativa

Oryza sativa is the scientific name for glutinous rice aka pulut, a kind of sticky rice very popular in Thai cuisine. During our short CNY break recently, I saw the different versions of pulut eaten in many ways. But I only opted for the Pulut with Fried Chicken. My family enjoyed this meal, especially when the chicken is still warm. The pulut is eaten as if we eat the usual rice, but this pulut is eaten with fried shallots and fried chicken with a taste of Thai chili sauce. The more fried shallots you have, the better the taste.

Another version of how the pulut is eaten is with mango. Because Thais grow mangoes abundantly, you can see mangoes being sold everywhere in Hatyai or Songkhla. I didn't try this as I wasn't sure my liking for this.


Hubby says he grew up eating pulut durian. But my version of pulut durian is pulut eaten with durian cooked in coconut milk and palm sugar. He further adds that he would squash the durian, coconut milk and pulut in his hand before eating them. His description and the thought of uncooked coconut milk didn't entice me into trying.


*Photo credits to google.com.

No comments: