Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Is there a white Christmas in NZ?

Bing Crosby's "I'm dreaming of a white Christmas" is just one of those songs which will never hold true! For us in New Zealand, we can never have a white Xmas....It's a green, green Xmas...after all.

Christmas in NZ is nothing about snows and sleighs but it’s more of the sun, the sand & BBQ!! Unlike the other parts of the world, NZ celebrates Xmas in the middle of the summer. So, at this time, people would go out camping or spending their family time at their Baches or holiday homes. Celebrating Xmas here is nothing about being religious, but it’s more about spending time with family and friends. Most workplaces would organize Xmas BBQs, lunches or dinners to get the staff together in close spirits.

I’m currently working at Knighton Normal School Before &After School Care and at Silverdale After School care program. Last year, KASP treated us for a Xmas dinner at Lonestar while this year, the grande dinner was held at Domaine on Victoria Street. I would say that Domaine is rather posh from its deco but the choice of food was quite limited. I don’t think I can be picky at this when KASP is paying for my dinner. Thank you KASP…I had a great night last week. I just wished I could stay longer and spend the rest of the night ‘partying’ with the girls…

Silverdale ASC hosted a light lunch at the Pumice in Terapa last year and we had a sort of ‘traditional’ Xmas lunch at Hazel Hayes this year. Hazel Hayes has its retro look, very charming indeed…with quite a variety of choices especially for a ‘vegetarian’ like me…Here are some pics I took during our social outings.


Fish of the day
Diana & me
The girls: Amy, Nathalie, Louise, Jasmine, Hayley
More girls...Gaye, Val, Daphne our boss
Gaye, Bela, jacquie, paula & me



2010 Silverdale Normal School (ASC) Christmas Brunch at Hazel Hayes, Victoria Street

Present-exchange session after brunch

Courgette Fritata with Feta Cheese & Pumpkin Seeds with Strawberry & Mango salad, and Lime Chutney
Yummy Trim Latte
The retro deco at Hazel Hayes
We had presents exchange with the staff at ASC..It was Christie's turn to unwrap her Xmas present

Frances (ASC supervisor) & me
Margaret Anne & daughter Michelle
Christie & Bryce
Margaret Anne, Michelle & me posing outside Hazel Hayes Cafe on Victoria Street


2009 CHRISTMAS PARTIES

Knighton Normal School 2009 Xmas Dinner at LoneStar

The gang from Knighton (KASP) gang: Myself, Bela, Gaye, Louise

The gang from Knighton (KASP) gang, Christine, Margaret, Diana, Daphne, Val, Paula, Emma
2009 Xmas Dinner at Lone Star with the KASP gang

2009 Xmas lunch at the Pumice with Silverdale School ASC gang: Christie, Emma, Lauren, Jean, Frances and Margaret Anne

No comments: